Law Offices of Tedone and Morton, P.C.

Joliet Office


Plainfield Office


Will County Restricted Driving Permit Lawyer

Will County Restricted Driving Permit Lawyer

Attorney Serving Joliet and Plainfield Explains Illinois RDP Requirements

When your Illinois driver's license has been revoked, the only way you can legally drive is to obtain a Restricted Driving Permit (RDP).

Your Illinois driver's license will be immediately revoked as soon as the Secretary of State (SoS) receives notice that you have been convicted of an offense such as:

How a Lawyer Will Help You Get an RDP in Will County

It is not easy to get an RDP. The state requires significant documentation and a formal hearing in front of an SoS hearing officer and a State attorney.

An experienced RDP attorney from the Law Offices of Tedone & Morton, P.C. can provide invaluable assistance and improve your chances of being granted an RDP on your first attempt. We have helped hundreds of people regain the right to drive.

We will make sure you have the best possible documentation to support your case, prepare you for the types of questions you will be asked at the hearing, help you rehearse the answers, and attend the hearing with you. At the hearing, we can ask you the questions, but you must give the answers.

When your Tedone & Morton lawyer asks you the questions, we can present your case in the best possible light and minimize the number of questions asked by the hearing officer or State attorney. With our help, you can avoid the errors that cause many people to be denied an RDP at their first hearing, forcing them to wait 90 days before they can have a new hearing.

How to Get a Restricted Driving Permit (RDP) in Grundy County

The first step is to submit your written request for a formal hearing to the SoS. The state is required to hold your hearing within 90 days of your request, but a shorter wait time of six weeks is typical.

To be approved for an RDP, you must convince the SoS hearing officer and attorney that:

  • Public safety will not be endangered. The burden is on you to prove that you have resolved any alcohol or drug problem related to your revocation and that you can now be trusted to be a safe driver. You will need to present a recent drug/alcohol evaluation along with other documentation such as letters from people who can testify to your rehabilitation.
  • Undue hardship would result if you are not issued an RDP. The burden is on you to prove undue hardship. Inconvenience is not "hardship," and the hardship must be to you, not to other people. Extreme difficulty in getting to your job or to a support/recovery program—usually due to the time of day and distance you have to travel— will generally qualify as undue hardship.
  • No alternative transportation is reasonably available, such as walking or riding a bike if you are physically able and conditions are not treacherous, taking public transportation, taking a cab if your financial circumstances allow it, or being driven by another family member.

BAIID requirements: Your vehicle must be equipped with a breath alcohol ignition interlock device (BAIID) if your driver's license has been suspended or revoked two or more times as a result of two or more separate arrests for drunk driving.

Where You Can Drive on a Restricted Driving Permit (RDP)

Your RDP will allow you to drive between your residence and:

  • Your job, including driving your personal vehicle for job-related duties such as between buildings that you clean. In some cases, you may also be allowed to drive a non-BAIID-equipped employer-provided vehicle for job-related purposes.
  • A school attended by you or a family member who lives with you.
  • A daycare facility attended by a family member who lives with you, including children and elderly/disabled adults who cannot drive.
  • Your alcohol/drug support/recovery program, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or other rehabilitation activities recommended by a licensed service provider.
  • Court-ordered activities and community service.
  • A medical facility, to receive necessary medical care for yourself or a family member who lives with you.

Restricted Driving Permit (RDP) Lawyer Serving Morris and Yorkville

If your driver's license has been revoked and you want to apply for a restricted driving permit, contact the Law Offices of Tedone & Morton, P.C. at 815-666-1285. From our two convenient offices in Joliet and Plainfield, Illinois, we serve clients in Will County, Grundy County, Kendall County, Yorkville, Morris, and surrounding areas.

  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
Back to Top