Law Offices of Tedone and Morton, P.C.

Joliet Office


Plainfield Office


Joliet parenting time lawyersWhile divorce can negatively impact all involved parties, children are often the most vulnerable. They also have little to no control over their situation, and that can lead to all sorts of problems later on down the line, such as social isolation, emotional or behavioral issues, and poor academic performance. Yet, when done under the right circumstances, with the child's best interests in mind, divorce can sometimes benefit children. In the following sections, you can learn more on how to effectively balance your child's best interests against your own needs to achieve the latter situation.

Is Divorce Bad for Kids? 

For decades, parents were led to believe that divorce is inherently “bad” for children. Yet, as time passes, research shows it is not necessarily the divorce process that negatively impacts children, so much as it is their home environment.

Researchers of a monumental study came to this conclusion after following groups of children whose parents fought frequently (children who started out in tumultuous home environments). Some of those marriages ended in divorce. Others stayed together. Interestingly enough, it was the children from divorced homes that fared better in this study. Similar results have been found in other scenarios, such as marriages that involve an element of domestic violence. In short, children do not always suffer from divorce, at least not long-term - but when married parents are miserable and unhappy, children may actually benefit more from a separation or divorce.

Balancing Your Wants Against Your Child's Best Interests in Divorce

Of course, not all marriages are quite as conflict-ridden as those in the previously mentioned study. In fact, more and more parents these days are striving for an amicable end to their union. How does this affect children, and how can parents balance their own wants against the needs and best interests of their child?

The answer may not be entirely straightforward, but it is clear: Parents are encouraged to carefully consider their child's bond with each parent, how living in either home might impact their life, and how often their child may be capable of moving from one home to the next. In short, you really have to take yourself out of the equation.

Try to remember that your chid loves both of his or her parents, and that more and more studies are showing that children actually benefit most when they have ample time with both parents (so long as the relationship is a safe and healthy one). As such, Illinois and several other states are now considering bills that propose a 50-50 parenting time split as the starting point in a divorce.

Getting the Parenting Time You Deserve Now

Until the bill in Illinois is either passed or rejected, divorcing fathers must continue to fight for their right to equal time with their child. In fact, studies have shown that this state is one of the worst for fathers when it comes to court-ordered parenting time determinations. Thankfully, with skilled and aggressive legal counsel during the divorce process, fathers can increase their chances of getting the parenting time that they so rightfully deserve.

Contact Our Joliet Parenting Time Attorneys 

With over 60 years of experience, the Law Offices of Tedone and Morton, P.C. can help you reach a fair parenting time determination in your divorce. Our seasoned Joliet divorce lawyers also know how critical protection can be for divorcing domestic violence victims and their children, and we skillfully and compassionately assist them as they navigate through the complex legal processes that may be necessary in their divorce. Whatever your needs, you can trust that our firm will strive to meet them with professionalism and empathy. Call 815-666-1285 today.


Joliet drunk driving accident attorneysIn the year 2016, more than 10,000 people were killed during a drunk driving accident, and another 290,000 were injured. Compensation may not make up for what these victims have lost, but it can help them and their families cover any final expenses, medical bills, lost wages, and treatment or rehabilitation costs that resulted from the crash.

Unfortunately, the path to financial recovery can be long and complex. Worse yet, victims are often denied the settlement that they deserve, as insurance companies regularly make low-ball offers and attempt to shift at least some of the blame for the crash over to the victim. Learn how you can protect yourself from such occurrences while recovering damages after an accident with a drunk driving, and discover how assistance from a seasoned drunk driving accident lawyer can improve the outcome of your case.

Protecting Your Right to Pursue Fair Compensation 

In an attempt to gain the business of consumers, insurance companies will often sell the image of a caring, compassionate company that is there for their customers in times of need. The truth paints a very different picture, however. Victims face the risk of denied claims if they fail to adhere to any part of the claims process, and even when they are successful in navigating it, their payouts are often smaller if they do not have legal representation. That is because insurance companies know that victims are unaware of just how much their injuries are worth.

Victims also tend to overlook certain aspects of their claim, such as post traumatic stress or the loss of a loved one. Insurance companies use this lack of knowledge to their advantage, often giving victims a low-ball settlement very soon after the accident. The hope is that victims will simply take the amount offered, rather than seek legal assistance to determine whether they are receiving a fair amount. All too often, they are successful.

An attorney can protect a victim's right to pursue fair compensation by first analyzing the case to determine how much the victim may be owed. They can then use this information to negotiate a suitable settlement for the victim. They can even take the issue to court, if necessary (but most cases settle before a trial). This level of assistance also allows the victim the opportunity to focus on healing from their injuries, rather than the complex claims process.

Contact Our Joliet Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys 

If you or a loved one has been injured in a drunk driving accident, ensure you have skilled legal protection and assistance with the claims process. Contact the Law Offices of Tedone and Morton, P.C. P.C., where your health, happiness, best interests, and future are our top priority. As one of the most trusted firms in Will County, our team of seasoned Joliet drunk driving accident lawyers have the knowledge, skills, and experience to effectively and aggressively pursue the most compensation possible in your case. Call 815-666-1285 to schedule your free consultation.


Will County child support lawyersChild support is intended to offset the costs of raising a child for the primary parent, which can ultimately improve the child's overall living conditions. Unfortunately, some paying parents do not seem to understand the value of their financial contribution. They dodge payments or stop making them altogether and leave the custodial parent with all the responsibility, which can cause unnecessary suffering for the child. Learn more about your options in such a situation, and discover how the assistance of a seasoned family law attorney can help to improve the outcome of your overdue child support case.

Avoid Taking Matters Into Your Own Hands

When a child is suffering unnecessarily, and the person who can help refuses to do so, parents receiving child support can become angry, frustrated, and distressed. These feelings can sometimes lead them to take matters into their own hands. Common actions involve showing up at a paying parent's home or place of employment, demanding payment, and withholding court-ordered parenting time.

Sadly, when custodial parents behave in such a way, they not only add unnecessary stress to their own life, but they also put themselves at risk for negative action from the non-custodial parent. A parent who receives support can be held in contempt if they start to withhold court-ordered parenting time from the delinquent parent, as these legal matters are considered separate by the courts. Showing up at a paying parent's home or work only puts one at risk for criminal charges (i.e. stalking, etc). Thankfully, there are more effective ways to pursue overdue child support.

More Effective Methods for Pursuing Overdue Child Support

Parents who are searching for a more effective way to recover overdue child support payments may wish to go through the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (DHFS), which has the power to garnish a delinquent parent's wages. They can also intercept tax refunds, report the overdue support to credit agencies, or suspend a delinquent parent's driver's license or professional license to recover or encourage payments. Unfortunately, the staff to case ratio is an area of concern for many receiving parents, as it can sometimes take months or years to achieve positive results through DHFS.

Contact our Plainfield, IL Child Support Lawyers

At the Law Offices of Tedone and Morton, P.C., we believe that every child deserves the love and support of both biological parents. Our Will County child support attorneys can help you recover overdue child support payments, even if you have been unsuccessful in using other methods. Depending on the situation, we may even be able to help you collect interest on the past-due payments. Start by calling 815-733-5350 and scheduling a free consultation with our offices today.


Illinois DUI defense lawyersDriving under the influence is considered a crime in the state of Illinois, and it carries heavy penalties for anyone who is convicted. When a minor passenger is involved, those consequences can become even greater. Learn more about the penalties of driving under the influence with a child in the vehicle, and discover how a seasoned criminal defense lawyer can help to improve the outcome in your Illinois drunk driving case.

What Classifies as a Child Passenger?

Illinois state law defines a minor as any child under the age of 16. As such, any child that is 15 or younger can lead to elevated charges in a DUI case. It is important to also note that the driver's relationship to the child is irrelevant in such cases. Instead, only the child's age is considered.

DUI Charges for Drivers with Child Passengers

Drivers who have a responsibility to safely transport children (i.e. school bus drivers) are held to a much higher standard than other drivers, so they may face penalties for any amount of alcohol in their bloodstream. For all other drivers, charges do not typically occur unless the driver registered with a BAC of 0.08 or more. However, it is important for drivers to keep in mind that there are still scenarios in which a charge may occur, even at a BAC that is lower than 0.08. For example, a driver that is under the legal drinking age (under the age of 21) can be charged with a DUI for a BAC that registers at 0.04 or higher.

DUIs with Minor Passengers Result in Elevated Charges and Consequences

The state of Illinois can convict even first-time DUI offenders with a Class A misdemeanor, which typically results in a suspension of one's driving privileges for at least one year. If a minor passenger was present at the time of arrest, that charge may also include up to a 6-month jail-term, a mandatory minimum fine of $1,000, and up to 25 days of community service. If the arrest involved a crash in which a minor passenger was injured, the charge may be elevated to an Aggravated DUI (a Class 4 felony). Convicted individuals may face a loss of their driving privileges for ups to two years, jail time, a fine of $2,500, and 25 days of community service. Subsequent convictions involving minor passengers may be elevated to a felony, as may any accident involving the death of a child passenger.

Contact Our Joliet DUI Defense Lawyers for Aggressive Legal Representation

If you or someone you love is facing a DUI charge involving a minor passenger, it is critical that you seek seasoned and aggressive legal assistance. With more than 60 years of experience in the Joliet and Plainfield areas, the Law Offices of Tedone and Morton, P.C. are the ones to call. Schedule your free initial consultation with our Will County DUI defense lawyers by calling 815-666-1285 today.


Posted on

Illinois auto accident injury lawyersMotor vehicle crashes are one of the leading cause of both death and injury in the United States. It is also one of the most common reasons that people visit the emergency room. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that more than 2.5 million of all non-fatal crash injuries are seen in emergency rooms each year, with around 7.5 percent resulting in hospitalization for the victim. What are the injuries most commonly seen, and what can injured victims expect over the next few weeks and months? The following information explains.

Most Commonly Sustained Auto Accident Injuries

Although every crash is unique, as are the injuries most commonly associated with them, some injury types are more frequently seen than others. These include:

  • Head injuries (traumatic brain injury),
  • Facial injuries,
  • Soft tissue injuries,
  • Whiplash,
  • Spinal injuries,
  • Sprains,
  • Strains,
  • Broken bones,
  • Lacerations,
  • Contusions, and
  • Abdominal injuries.

Many of these injuries do eventually heal, but some can result in death or long-term complications (i.e. head injuries, abdominal injuries, spinal injuries, etc.). Moreover, even a seemingly minor injury can result in serious complications or fatality. Examples might include an abdominal bleed that initially appeared to be nothing more than a bruise or a laceration that gets infected (which can lead to more serious complications, including sepsis).

Dealing with Car Crash Injuries

Because injuries can be more serious than they initially seem, accident victims are encouraged to always visit the emergency room after a crash. This step can reduce the risk that the victim will suffer devastating health effects from an insidious injury or delayed symptoms while also ensuring that the injuries are attributed to the accident, rather than some other event. Injured parties are encouraged to follow up with the recommended providers and specialists.

As victims obtain treatment, they are encouraged to keep a detailed record of any medical expenses that they incur (including transportation costs and expenses for medical equipment), as these can be used by an attorney to calculate how much a victim may be owed in compensation.

Contact Our Joliet Auto Accident Lawyers

If you or someone you love has been injured in an auto accident, do not speak with the insurance companies. Instead, refer them to Tedone & Morton, P.C., where your best interests and right to pursue full and fair compensation will be protected. Skilled and experienced, our Plainfield, IL car crash injury attorneys can handle all the details so that you and your family can focus on healing. Call 815-666-1285 and schedule your consultation with our offices today.


  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
Back to Top