Law Offices of Tedone and Morton, P.C.

Joliet Office


Plainfield Office


Posted on

premises-liabilityAccording to the Illinois Premises Liability Act, property owners are required to care for and maintain their premises. In the event an individual sustains an injury on their property, they may be liable. Therefore, property owners are encouraged to invest in premises liability insurance to protect themselves.If you have suffered from an injury as a result of a hazard on someone else's private or public property, you may be curious as to what their premises liability insurance covers and whether you are eligible to collect compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.

Types of Accidents Covered by Premises Liability Insurance

Premises liability insurance is designed to pay victims who sustain injuries by dangerous conditions on properties. Some of the most common types of accidents covered by premises liability insurance are as follows:

Slip and fall accidents; Dog bites and animal attacks; Swimming pool incidents; Insufficient lighting; Cluttered floors; Damaged walkways and entryways; and Negligent security.

How to Recover Compensation Under Premises Liability Insurance

If you get hurt on a private or public property, you are not automatically awarded compensation under the property's premises liability insurance. In order to recover compensation, the following elements must be established:

  • There was a hazardous condition on the premises;
  • The property owner was aware or should have been aware of the hazard;
  • The property owner did not maintain their premises in accordance with Illinois law; and
  • You sustained injuries because of the property owner's breach of duty.

Evidence Necessary for Premises Liability Insurance Claims

To increase your chances of collecting the fair and full compensation you may be entitled to, evidence is incredibly important. Some of the most common types of evidence used to support premises liability cases includes:

  • Photographs or videos of the accident scene;
  • Witness testimony;
  • Medical records that show the severity of your injuries and cost of treatment; and
  • Real estate deeds or leases.

It is important to note that while evidence is crucial in all personal injury cases, it is even more vital in premises liability cases. This is because victims likely have limited access to the property.

Contact Our Joliet Premises Liability Attorneys

If you have been hurt on someone else's property, reach out to our highly skilled Joliet premises liability attorneys. For a free, no-obligation consultation, call us at 815-666-1285. We can determine whether you have a valid case, help you gather evidence, and ensure that you receive the maximum compensation you may deserve.


Posted on

hit-runThe AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety discovered that at least one hit-and-run accident takes place in the United States every minute. In 2016, there were approximately over 2,000 hit and run related deaths. This is a 60 percent increase from the number of hit and run deaths that occurred in 2009.

Reducing the Risk of Bicyclist or Pedestrian Accidents

Hit and run deaths have been rising since by 7.2 percent since 2009. About 85 percent of those who lost their lives in a hit or run were hit by a bicyclist or pedestrian. Fortunately, there are certain steps you can take to reduce your risk of being involved in a crash with a bicyclist or pedestrian including:

  • Be aware of your surroundings at all times;
  • Watch out for young children in areas that may be crowded with more pedestrians;
  • Get into the habit of yielding to pedestrians; and
  • Be patient when trying to pass a bicyclist or pedestrian.

Hit and Run Laws in Illinois

Although hit and run driving is illegal in all states, the penalties differ in from state to state. If a driver hits a vehicle in Illinois, they must contact the police and provide their personal information in addition to staying at the scene.

Drivers who flee the scene of a car crash with significant damage of over $1,000 may be left with a Class A misdemeanor and a driver's license suspension. If drivers flee the scene of an accident where others sustained injuries, they may face a Class 2 or Class 4 felony as well as a license revocation. In the event drivers flee the scene of a crash that resulted in a fatality, they may be subject to a Class 1 felony and license revocation.

Steps to Take After an Accident

Regardless of whether or not you believe you caused the accident, you should remain calm at the scene. Then, call the police so that a police report can be filed. Next, exchange contact information and insurance details with anyone involved in the accident. Lastly, seek medical attention and make sure your injuries and treatments are well-document.

Seeking Compensation for a Hit and Run Accident

Contrary to popular belief, you may be able to recover compensation from a hit and run driver. By consulting an experienced car accident lawyer, you can increase your chances of identifying the driver and securing the compensation you may be entitled to. A car accident lawyer will know how to look for evidence and protect your rights.

Contact Our Joliet Hit and Run Accident Attorneys

If you have been a victim of a hit and run accident, contact our highly skilled Joliet hit and run accident attorneys. For a free, no-obligation consultation, call us at 815-666-1285. We may be able to determine who hit your vehicle and help you obtain compensation.


Posted on

motorcycle-crashNow that the fall season has made its debut, motorcyclists are taking advantage of the brisk air and beautiful colors by riding more frequently. Although most motorcycle riders understand the importance of wearing helmets, many fail to wear them and sustain serious injuries in motorcycle accidents. Let's take a closer look at the parts of a helmet and benefits of helmets for motorcyclists.

Four Parts of a Helmet

A motorcycle is designed to protect the face and brain. In the event a motorcyclist is involved in an accident, a helmet can reduce their risk of suffering serious injuries. Here are the four main parts of a helmet:

  • Outer shell: The outer shell of a helmet is made of a durable material that compresses when it comes into contact with a hard surface. When it compresses, it is able to diffuse the force, before it can severely impact the head;
  • Absorbing liner: The absorbing liner is comprised of a cushion-like material called polystyrene. It is designed to absorb the impact in the event a motorcyclist hits their head;
  • Padding: The padding is the closest material to a motorcycle rider's head. It allows the motorcyclist to feel more comfortable in a helmet; and
  • Retention system: The chin strap on the helmet is called the retention system and keeps the helmet secured tightly during a crash.

All of these parts work together to ensure optimal head and brain safety for motorcycle riders.

Tips for Selecting the Right Helmet

When shopping for a helmet, motorcyclists should opt for one that offers the most comfortable fit and most amount of protection. Some of the most common helmets available include:

  •  Full-face helmet: Full-face helmets are designed to offer the most amount of protection because they completely cover the face and chin;
  • Three-quarter open face helmet: Motorcyclists who choose a three-quarter open face helmet should also invest in goggles or a face protector because it does not come with face and chin protection; and
  • Half helmet: Also known as a “shorty,” a half helmet offers the least amount of protection as it may come off from a motorcyclist's head in the event of an accident.

Although full-face helmets are more expensive than three-quarter open face helmets and half helmets, the extra protection they offer makes them well worth the extra cost.

Contact Our Joliet Motorcycle Accident Attorneys

If you have been involved in a fall motorcycle accident, contact our highly skilled Joliet motorcycle accident attorneys. For a free, no-obligation consultation, call us at 815-666-1285.


Posted on
trialIf you have been hurt because of someone else's negligent actions, you may be asking yourself whether your personal injury case will go to court. The truth is that personal injury cases rarely go to court. In fact, the U.S. Department of Justice found that only 4 percent of all personal injury lawsuits make it to trial.

Cons of Taking a Personal Injury Case to Trial

Although you do have the right to a jury trial under the Seventh Amendment, taking your personal injury case to court is not always a wise choice. Let's take a closer look at some of the cons of doing so:


It can be expensive to take your case to trial. The filing and administrative fees that you will need to pay may be thousands of dollars. In the event you require expert witnesses, the cost of your case will increase in price.


Personal injury cases are time-consuming. Your case will be prolonged if it goes to trial. Therefore, if you hope to recover compensation in a timely fashion so that you can move on with your life, you may want to avoid court.


You should understand that taking your case to trial is risky. While you may be able to collect more than the original compensation offer, you may also be awarded less. The jurors may not believe your account of the accident or question the severity of your injuries and how your case may impact your future. It is clear that settling your case without the court can save you time and money while allowing you to have greater control of the outcome.

Situations Where Trial Is Necessary

There are a few situations where it may be a good idea to take your case to court. If your lawyer cannot recover the maximum compensation you may deserve, taking your case to trial may ensure your rights are protected. A trial may also make sense if the other party is attempting to hide evidence.

Your lawyer can help you understand whether your particular case requires trial or can be settled outside the courtroom. If you are pleased with the offer of the negligent party, a trial is likely unnecessary.

Contact Our Joliet Personal Injury Lawyers

If you are unsure whether a trial is necessary in your personal injury case, reach out to our highly skilled Joliet personal injury lawyers. Call us at 815-666-1285 for a free, no-obligation case consultation.


Posted on
vanLarge families, tour groups, and others depend on 15-passenger vans every day. Although they are convenient because they make it easy to transport many individuals, they can be hazardous and lead to serious accidents. Let's dive deeper into the dangers of 15-passenger vans and what can be done to increase their safety.

What Makes 15-Passenger Vans Dangerous?

Since 15-passenger vans are large in size, they can easily overload with passengers, baggage, and equipment. When overloading arises, these top-heavy vans may lose stability and roll over. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or NHTSA discovered that the risk of rollover greatly increases when the number of passengers goes from fewer than five to more than 10.

How to Increase Safety of 15-Passenger Vans

There are several ways drivers of 15-passenger vans can increase safety. Here are some tips:

  • Do not speed: Speeding and sudden maneuvers can cause 15-passenger vans to crash. Therefore, it is crucial to drive slowly and understand that additional braking time is needed.
  • Inspect tire pressure: Poorly inflated or worn tires can lead to loss of control and prompt a rollover accident.
  • Gain experience: It takes time to get used to driving a 15-passenger van. Drivers should gain experience before transporting large groups.
  • Wear seat belts: Drivers should not start driving until all passengers have put on their seat belts. Believe it or not, the NHTSA found that a passenger in a 15-passenger van who is not wearing their seatbelt is three times more likely to get killed in a crash than a passenger who is wearing their seat belt.
  • Refrain from overloading: There should never be more than 15 people or cargo loads on a roof of a 15-passenger van.

How a Joliet Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer Can Help

If you sustain an injury or lose a loved one in a crash that involves a 15-passenger van, consult a Joliet motor vehicle accident lawyer right away. They can perform an investigation and determine who is at fault. In the event the negligence of another party played a role, a lawyer may be able to help you obtain compensation for your damages. The compensation can ease the financial burden associated with medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.

Contact a Joliet Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer

Involved in a crash with a 15-passenger van? Reach out to our experienced Joliet car accident lawyers immediately. Call us at 815-666-1285 for a free, no-obligation consultation.

  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
Back to Top